Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Director of Christian Life

My new job title reads "Director of Christian Life".  What does that mean, you may ask?  What exactly do you believe in, Paul?

Easy to answer--I believe in us.  In humanity.  And I believe we can make this thing work.  We need help and we must stop vilifying the "other". And we must never be content with the easy way out.  I believe we can all pursue our lives as we best see fit without harming others or our world.

I also believe that a great man named Jesus of Nazareth came to our attention in the midst of a Roman occupation of his homeland.  I believe this radical man had much to teach us.  And we still have much to learn.

I believe that ultimately it comes down to this: to those in power and those sure that they belong, Jesus would ask, "Are you sure?"  And to those with no power and voice and sure that they didn't belong, Jesus would ask of them as well..."Are you sure?".  His stance was that everyone was welcome to the table of God (and therefore the table of life and community) and that no one was to be excluded.  His church was to be founded on inclusivity, not dogma or hierarchy or creed.  I doubt he would recognize most modern churches.  For that matter, I doubt most modern churches would notice, let alone welcome, him.

So, back to my job title.  A Christian Life is one of community, exploration of theology, care for one another, and worship of a God that fits your expectations.  Life is rich with experience and joy and beauty.  It is meant to be lived fully and with each other.  It is not a contest.  It is not a battle.  It most certainly is not to be missed.

Pax,

Paul

No comments: