Wednesday, March 12, 2008

My mother's paintings

In the living room of my little Riverside apartment there are two special paintings on the walls. Both are creations of my mother. Both are beautiful. Both speak volumes about how far this woman has come in life. One on wall is a lovely, woody setting--green and tree-filled--and when mom gave it to me, she mentioned about how my father Earl would go bow-hunting for deer and that she painted this as a remembrance of those happier times. Mom knows how important Dad was in my life. The other is a painting of trees in Autumn. It is such a colorful contrast to the first that it actually sits on the opposite wall. I love the beautiful pumpkin matting that she chose to bring out the palate in the painting. I've been thinking about these paintings (and the quilts that she has made me over the years) and the love that we have for one another and I realize what a lucky, lucky man I am to have this amazing, complex woman for a mother. Not only did she create and nurture me...but she continues to create and nurture life and love in her art and her home.

No comments: