Sunday, March 01, 2009

My OKC Churches

So, yesterday, a co-worker asked me if I was finding my way around OKC and if I had found people and things to occupy my very limited down-time. I had to pause for a second and take a deep breath before letting her know that I had found a couple of churches that I enjoyed attending and that I was enjoying getting to know them and they were getting to know me. I then had to do my usual disclaimer and let her know that her new boss is not a religious fanatic. I hate that we have let the religious right so corrupt the true meaning of being christian that I have to make sure that when I share my church-going ways with someone, I have to assure them that 1) I am not a member of the religious right, 2) I am not judgemental about any one's beliefs (even fundamentalists) and 3) I will not try even in the slightest to bend her beliefs in any way. So--I went to Mayflower UCC this morning and enjoyed it immensely and I will attend another church this evening with some friends. Both churches preach a liberal, loving version of Christianity. Both churches do great works in this community. Both churches provide me with opportunities for worship and fellowship. And both congregations are welcoming, intellectual and absolutely sure of one thing.....that they are absolutely sure of nothing!

PAX

1 comment:

David said...

Booooyyy...down here in Okla-homa we don't take kindly to liberal rebel-rousers bad mouthin' our venerated observances and rituals.

Ok, so I am not in Oklahoma and it is really hard to put an Oklahoma accent on written words...but the sentiment remains.