Saturday, February 07, 2009

My balcony, my bike and my life....

I am writing this sitting on my balcony outside my OKC apartment. I've never had a balcony before and I find that I enjoy it very much. I just watched a beautiful Oklahoma sunset (even though I still think our Kansas sunsets can't be matched) and am waiting to go to a movie with a new friend. Directly to my left is my ancient 10-speed bike that I have had since I was in my early 20s. I took my first OKC bike ride earlier and my legs are still reminding me that it has been far too long since I have ridden. (Mom, I rode through very populated residential areas and made sure I had loaded up on carbs!).

The apartment complex is not too busy tonight, a few folks wandering by with their laundry for the washers nearby. I splurged and found a local laundry that does bundle service (it is just up the street from my new dry cleaners) so I am ready for the week ahead. When I left Coe Drive I promised myself that I would NEVER do laundromats again and I have managed to keep this promise. I pay a little extra, but it's nice to not have to worry about laundry.

Tomorrow morning I will return to Mayflower Church and hopefully won't have to leave before the sermon as I had to last week (my cough returned!). I have come to the conclusion that whoever had this apartment prior to me had CATS--and LOTS OF THEM. Anyway, as my titer is rising, my cough is decreasing.

The first stars of the night are coming out and I am thinking of Josh and Channa on vacation in the Philippines.....remembering the lovely balcony of their Izmir apartment that over-looked the Turkish countryside. I am thinking of Pokey and her girls playing around their new house. I am thinking of Val and all of her family in Wichita, busy with their Saturday night. I am thinking my Mother and Step-father in Derby. And I am thinking of my tribe--all of the people whom I love and who love me in return.

I feel a wonderful sense of calm returning to my life after the tumult and disorder of my move down here.

This place feels right.

I am where I am supposed to be.

And that is such a wonderful feeling.

PAX

Paul

3 comments:

drinklife said...

Hey bro! It is good to hear you have a balcony. When we visit, we will have to have some good conversations in the cool of the evening. We are getting our blogs up and going. China has been a bit challenging with maintaining internet access to certain blog sites. We think we have solved this problem not. Our sites are not finished yet, but you can take a look at them. www.thegarrettblog.com for family stuff.

www.bloggarrett.com for my own thoughts and ramblings.

I am very happy for you!

drinklife said...

i meant to say that we have solved this problem now, not not. :)

Pauljaxon said...

Bro...you have a place to stay anytime you are near OKC. BTW: DON'T STEP ON THE BABY!