Sunday, February 08, 2009

Pausing on a Sunday

I often think of Sondheim's lyrics from Sunday in the Park with George--about pausing on a Sunday. The habit for the past few decades of my life has been to arrange my week around Sunday services. Prior to my service at University Congregational Church I was singing with College Hill UMC or attending other services in Wichita.

What I have found is that by basing my week upon a rhythm of celebration, prayer and reflection on Sunday, I can frame my week in a meaningful manner. That by joining the cycle of a church's calender--its celebrations and solemnities--its rituals and rites--its music and words, I actually am able to make my days mean more than I feel they otherwise might.

I confess that there are as many ways to know the divine as there are human minds capable of embracing the concept of a "God". I believe that those who choose to follow the teaching of the Buddha have found a path to the divine that works for them and their world. I have watched devout Muslims practice their peaceful faith in manners that make meaning for them and their world. And the same is true for any who choose a faith path to follow in this world--a religion to help them make meaning for their life.

Even the most dogmatic of fundamentalists have found a way that works for them (although I disagree with their desire to force ME to believe in THEIR path to the divine or the misguided concept that there is only ONE TRUE WAY to the divine). I even applaud those who do not have a faith journey--who choose to believe in mankind or another form of secular system. If it works for them--if it helps them make their journey through their life have meaning--I applaud it. I am especially proud of our new president for including people who choose to not follow a religion as part of America--because they are. It is time to get past Church/State arguments and let these two institutions work as they do best--separate and free.

For me--the teachings of Jesus of Nazareth have proven to be the best way to know the divine. And so I join with like-minded people in a beautiful building and enjoy their music and company and worship. I apply these teachings to my life in a manner that helps me make meaning out of a more and more complex world. I find comfort in the tradition, the ritual, the rhythm of Christian belief. And I will take from the other faith systems any teaching that helps make me a more peaceful, loving man. Anything less can not be divine--surely, it must be profane.

Peace!

Paul

1 comment:

David said...

Amen!